Doogh, a Persian yogurt drink, is very refreshing, and a must with any Persian Kebab. It is surprisingly easy to make, and even more so if you have a Soda Stream to give you soda water on demand.
Any plain natural yogurt can be used for this recipe, but the thicker the yogurt, the more soda water you will need to add.
The amount of salt added is very personal as some people like it a lot saltier than others.
In our family, we always have doogh with Kebab in summer, and it has been the tradition that the kids make the doogh while the Kebab is cooking. The recipe is really that simple.
How to make Doogh – Yogurt Drink
Add natural yogurt to a glass jug, and with a whisk, stir in salt and dried mint.
Very gently pour in soda water. To stop the soda water from bubbling too much wile pouring into the jug, gently tip the jug on the side so the soda water is being poured onto the side of the glass jug rather than into the middle of the jug.
Serve over ice with a sprig of mint for decoration.
This yogurt drink can be made in advance and stored in airtight bottles in the fridge ready to serve. Remember to give it a gentle shake before opening as the yogurt will settle to the bottom of the bottle over time.
Yogurt Drink – Doogh
- 1 lt soda water
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
- 500 ml cold water
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- 1 tsp crushed mint optional
- crushed ice
- In a 2lt jug whisk together the yogurt, 1/2 tsp salt, and the cold water.
- Add finely crushed mint if desired.
- Carefully pour in the soda water.
- To reduce the foaming, tip the jug on an angle and pour the soda water so that it touches the side of the jug before the dough in the jug.
- With a spoon, carefully stir, to combine.
- Add more salt to taste if required.
- Serve over crushed ice.