Yoghurt Drink – Doogh
This refreshing yoghurt drink, known as Doogh, is a must with Persian Kebab and rice, Chelow Kebab. Commercial versions of Doogh are becoming more readily available, but it is very easy to make and the ingredients are available in most kitchens. Perhaps an acquired taste to some Westerners but once appreciated it is a must at any Persian BBQ.
- 1lt soda water
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
- 500ml cold water
- Salt to taste
- crushed mint (optional)
- crushed ice
- In a 2lt jug whisk together the yoghurt, 1/2 tsp salt, and the cold water.
- Add finely crushed mint if desired.
- Carefully pour in the soda water.
- To reduce the foaming, tip the jug on an angle and pour the soda water so that it touches the side of the jug before the dough in the jug.
- With a spoon, carefully stir, to combine.
- Add more salt to taste if required.
- Serve over crushed ice.