A simple and easy pastry to serve as an appetiser or a simple lunch.
- 1 bunch of English spinach
- 1 bunch of shallots
- 2 eggs
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 250g feta cheese
- 1 cup of flour
- 6 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten for glazing
- sesame seeds
- Lay out frozen pastry on a flat surface, separating each sheet with a sharp knife. Leave to defrost while preparing the filling. Preheat oven to 160deg fan-forced.
- in the bowl of a food processor, process the spinach and the shallots,
- Add the eggs and the cheeses and process further.
- Add the flour to create a slightly thickened paste.
- Cut each square of pastry into 4 smaller squares.
- Place a dollop of filling into each pastry square and fold the corners in to create a smaller square and pinch the corners.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes till golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rake to prevent them going soggy.
These can be frozen after step 7, just lay them on a flat baking try and freeze over night. Then pack into freezer bags and bake as required.