A wonderful moist date cake. This is a firm favourite and I often am asked for this recipe. I soak the dates in coffee to dd that extra moistness and interesting taste.
- 500g dates
- 1 cup hot black coffee
- 1/2 tsp Bi-carbonate soda
- 185g butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Soak the dates in the coffee overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat the fan forced oven to 160 deg.
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs.
- Stir through the date mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and stir into the date mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes until cooked.
- Turn out to cool on a wire cooling rack.
For a variation, stir through 1 cup of chopped walnuts or almonds.