A good rice is important in the Persian Cuisine. This is the basic recipe for Polo rice.
- 3 cups white basmati rice
- 2 litres boiling water
- 2 tlbs ghee
- 1 med potato
- saffron powder
- Wash the rice well, until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with the salt and pour enough boiling water over the rice to enable the rice to move freely after expansion from cooking.
- Bring rice to the boil untill it is 3/4 cooked. Still a little hard in the centre to bite.
- Rinse the rice under running water in a colander until the water runs clear.
- Peel the potato and slice.
- In the bottom of a Persian rice cooker pan, or a non-stick saucepan, brush half the ghee and then layer the potato over the Ghee totally covering the bottom of the pan.
- Gently spoon the rice over the potato, sprinkle the saffron powder over the rice, and add the remainder of the Ghee to the top of the rice.
- Cover the rice cooker lid with a tea towel or cloth and place on the top of the pot.
- Run the rice cooker through its cycle, if using a non stick saucepan, initially bring the heat to high until steam is formed in the saucepan, then reduce the temperature to low-med for about 30 minutes.
- When the rice is ready, invert the pot onto a flat round serving dish, taking care to retain the tahdig.
When cooking rice it is important to prepare it gently and with care resulting in individual grains, steamed to perfection.