Polo – White Persian Layered Rice
A good rice is important in the Persian Cuisine. This is the basic recipe for Polo rice.
- 1 Persian Rice Cooker
- 3 cups white basmati rice
- 2 litres boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tlbs ghee or olive oil
- 1 med potato
- ¼ tsp saffron powder
- Wash the rice well, until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with the salt and pour enough boiling water over the rice to enable the rice to move freely after expansion from cooking.
- Bring rice to the boil until it is 3/4 cooked. Still a little hard in the center to bite.
- Rinse the rice under running water in a colander until the water runs clear.
- Peel the potato and slice.
- In the bottom of a Persian rice cooker pan, or a non-stick saucepan, brush half the ghee or olive oil and then layer the potato totally covering the bottom of the pan.
- Gently spoon the rice over the potato, sprinkle the saffron powder over the rice, and add the remainder of the ghee or olive oil to the top of the rice.
- Cover the rice cooker lid with a tea towel or cloth and place on the top of the pot.
- Run the rice cooker through its cycle, if using a non stick saucepan, initially bring the heat to high until steam is formed in the saucepan, then reduce the temperature to low-med for about 30 minutes.
- When the rice is ready, invert the pot onto a flat round serving dish, taking care to retain the tahdig.
When cooking rice it is important to prepare it gently and with care resulting in individual grains, steamed to perfection.
Calories: 368kcalCarbohydrates: 80gProtein: 7gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 411mgPotassium: 256mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 40mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!