Almond Cake with Cardamom
This Almond cake is very light as opposed to many other varieties of Almond cakes. The cardamom adds that distinctive Persian flavour.
- 185 g butter
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grease and line a 22cm x 34cm cake pan and preheat the oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar to a cream.
- Add eggs and continue beating.
- Gently stir through the remaining ingredients until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan to 10 minutes before turning out.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.
When measuring the golden syrup, use a spoon and measuring cup that has been rinsed with boiling hot water. This will stop the syrup from sticking quite as much.
Calories: 2559kcalCarbohydrates: 502gProtein: 58gFat: 37gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 362mgSodium: 417mgPotassium: 1068mgFiber: 10gSugar: 312gVitamin A: 983IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 661mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!