Marinated Persian Feta Cheese
Marinated Persian Feta Cheese is a wonderful accompaniment to a light lunch or breakfast. And it is a healthy choice. Feta cheese is considered to be one of the healthiest cheeses available. True Persian feta is made from goats or sheep milk making it easier to digest than cows milk based cheeses and combined with olive oil this side dish a healthy addition to a salad or with bread as a popular breakfast.
- 500g feta cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tbls fresh chopped basil
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced finely
- 1 tsp rock salt
- olive oil
- Cut the feta cheese into cubes about 1cm square.
- Wash and sterilise a glass jar.
- Pack the feta cheese gently into the glass jar.
- Gently place on top the peppercorns, chopped basil, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and the rosemary.
- Pour sufficient olive oil over the cheese to entirely cover the ingredients.
- Seal and store in the refrigerator.
- Allow at least 2 weeks to allow the flavours to develop.
I usually keep this oil mixture constantly adding more feta cheese when it is finished, and topping with more oil and herbs and spices. The perpetual marinating oil.
Keep the jar in the fridge for longer storage. The olive oil will solidify when in the fridge. Just leave it on the shelf for an hour or so before serving to return the olive oil to liquid.
The marinating olive oil itself is wonderful as a dipping oil for bread, and can be used as a salad dressing mixed with a little lemon juice or the tart verjuice often used on Persian kitchens.