Zucchini and Beetroot Fritters make a nutritious light breakfast or an addition to a picnic.
It must be the season for beetroot with a lovely supply at the markets this week. This recipe uses beetroot with the wonderfully fresh organic zucchini from the local farmers market. A simple weekend breakfast or a picnic snack. I love to experiment with the color and taste of beetroot, and mixed with the turmeric, these fritters develop a lovely color. Serve with yogurt and cucumber.
Zucchini and Beetroot Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 eggs
- 350 ml milk
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 med beetroot grated
- 2 shallots
- In an electric mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, eggs, salt and milk.
- Slowly stir through the grated zucchini and beetroot.
- Heat an electric frypan.
- Lay 12 egg rings in the bottom of the electric frying pan.
- Spray with egg rings and pan with oil spray
- When the egg rings are hot, spoon mixture to half fill the egg rings
- Cook for about 10 minutes till bubble form in the top of the fritters
- Use tongs to remove egg rings, and flip over to finish cooking