These saffron butter cookies are a firm favourite in our household. It is a traditional butter cookie recipe I learnt at Home Economics at High School, with the addition of powdered saffron and crushed pistachio nuts giving it a Persian twist.
The trick with this recipe is to make sure that the butter and sugar is well creamed and light an fluffy. An orbital mixer makes this easy to achieve.
The more crushed pistachio nuts on the top the better. These light Saffron Butter cookies are great with Persian Tea.
Saffron Butter Cookies
These saffron butter cookies are a firm favourite in our household. It is a traditional butter cookie recipe I learnt at Home economics at High School, with the addition of powdered saffron and crushed pistachio nuts. A delicious light butter cookie. Great to have with some Persian Tea.
- 125 g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp saffron powder
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- chopped raw pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 160 deg (fan forced).
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add saffron powder, egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and stir into the mixture until well combined.
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into the a ball and place on a greased baking tray, leaving room to spread. Flatten with your fingers.
- Sprinkle each biscuit with chopped pistachio nuts.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes in a moderate oven.
- leave to cook on the trays for about 5 minutes then carefully lift onto wire cooling racks to cool.
Calories: 77kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 2gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 26mgPotassium: 37mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 22IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 20mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!