Saffron Butter Cookies
These saffron butter cookies are a firm favourite in our household. It is a traditional butter cookie recipe I learnt at Home economics at High School, with the addition of powdered saffron and crushed pistachio nuts. A delicious light butter cookie. Great to have with some Persian Tea.
- 125g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp saffron powder
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- chopped raw pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 160 deg (fan forced).
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add saffron powder, egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and stir into the mixture until well combined.
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into the a ball and place on a greased baking tray, leaving room to spread. Flatten with your fingers.
- Sprinkle each biscuit with chopped pistachio nuts.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes in a moderate oven.
- leave to cook on the trays for about 5 minutes then carefully lift onto wire colling racks to cool.