Shirazi Salad – Persian Tomato & Cucumber Salad
A great refreshing mixed salad. Great with Koobideh Kebab or other grilled meats and rice. Originally form Shiraz, this salad is distinct with it’s crushed dried mint and lemon juice.
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 tbls dried mint
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Chop the cucumber, tomato and onion into small pieces.
- Finely crush the mint in the palm of your hand and sprinkle on top.
- Stir through the lemon juice
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let stand for at least one hour before using to allow the flavours to develop.
I often add other salad vegetables into this dish, such as radish and green shallots, but to remain as a typical Shirizi salad only tomato cucumber and onion are used.