Pistachios Nougat – Gaz
A delicious pistachio nougat. Not quite traditional GAZ, but close enough.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups liquid glucose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1 cup roasted pistachios
- Line a Lamington tray with greaseproof paper, and lightly spray with spray oil.
- Whip the egg yolks is a electric mixer at high until soft peaks are formed.
- Combine the sugar, glucose syrup, salt, and water in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to boil and boil till the temperature reaches 250 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and slowly pour about a third of the mixture into mixer bowl while running beating into the egg whites. Continue to beat the egg whites until the mixture has a similar consistency to whipped cream.
- Continue to boil the remaining syrup until it reaches 300 degrees.
- Pour the remaining sugar syrup slowly into the egg mixture with the motor running and continue beating until mixture is thick and stiff. Add the Rose Water and nuts and beat just until combined.
- Spoon the nougat into the prepared pan, and press it smoothly and evenly with a wet hand to stop it sticking.. Keep it in refrigerator until the nougat is partly set. tip out onto a floured board, turning to ensure both sides are lightly floured.
- Cut into desired shapes, with 2cm squares or cut using a small round cookie cutter, pressing into flour between each cut to reduce the sticking.
- Store in a lightly floured an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to temperature before serving.
Use flour to keep the nougat from sticking. A good electric mixer with a metal or glass bowl is essential for this recipe along with a candy thermometer.