Lamb Stew with okra – Khoresht Baamieh
A traditional tomato based Lamb stew with Okra. For a special friend Briar. Enjoy.
- 2 large onions diced
- 1 kg diced lamb
- 1 tlbs salt
- 2 tlbs oil
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 crushed dried lime
- 440 g tins crushed tomatoes
- 2 tlbs tomato paste
- 500 g okra
- In a heavy based frying pan, fry the onion, salt and pepper, turmeric and dried lime until the onion is transparent.
- Add the lamb and fry until the surface of the lamb is sealed.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a slow simmer until the lamb is tender, about an hour.
- Wash the okra well. Top and tail them as you would a green string bean.
- If required, using a potato peeler, peel the hard knobbly edges.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Rinse well.
- Add to the stew, khorest, and and continue to simmer until the is tender.
Okra gives off a gluttonous jelly type liquid. If you are using small, baby size okra there is no need to cut them and the goo stays intact. Otherwise don’t try to wash it all away, rather just rinse the cut okra and toss into the saucepan with the cooking stew. Okra is very high in calcium.
Calories: 1691kcalCarbohydrates: 76gProtein: 218gFat: 57gSaturated Fat: 19gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 650mgSodium: 978mgPotassium: 5369mgFiber: 25gSugar: 26gVitamin A: 4049IUVitamin C: 151mgCalcium: 627mgIron: 26mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!