Herb Omelette – Kookoo Sabzi
Often served at the New Year celebration – Naw Ruz – Kookoo Sabzi is the most famous and popular of all the Persian Omelets.
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup dried coriander
- 1/4 cup dried chopped chives
- 2 tlbs plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried barberries (optional)
- 2 tlbs chopped walnuts (optional)
- 8 eggs
- Soak dried herbs in water for about an hour, drain and pat dry and place in a mixing bowl
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and the barberries and walnuts if using to the herb mixture. Stir through.
- Heat a round frying pan with oil until hot.
- Mix the eggs together and pour into the herb mixture then pour into the frying pan while still stirring.
- Turn down temperature and cook for about 20 minutes until the top is nearly set.
- Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes until well cooked.
The surprising thing about this dish is how tasty the cooked orange skin becomes after absorbing the flavours of the other ingredients.