Chicken with Orange,
Chicken with Orange
This is a variation of the traditional Khoresht Naranj.
- 1 whole chicken, 1.5kg – 2kg
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruit and nuts, including
- dried apricots
- slivered almonds
- 2 carrots
- 1 green apple
- Wash chicken and split the chicken by cutting the breastbone from top to bottom.
- Place the split chicken in a roasting pan that has a good fitting lid.
- Spread the dried fruit and nuts over the chicken.
- Core the apple, slice and place over the dried fruit.
- Slice 2 oranges and lay over the sliced apple.
- Peel the carrots and cut into matchstick size pieces, and spread around the chicken.
- Juice the remaining oranges and pour the juice over the chicken, and sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.
- Roughly chop the orange skins and add to the dish.
- Secure the lid and cook in a slow oven for about 2-3 hours till well cooked.
The surprising thing about this dish is how tasty the cooked orange skin becomes after absorbing the flavours of the other ingredients.