Ash e Reshteh,
Ash e Reshteh
Ash e Reshteh is a hearty fulfilling soup, a firm favourite in many Persian households. This recipe is a quick and easy version suitable for the Western Kitchen.
- 2 440g tins red kidney beans
- 2 440g tins chick peas
- 1 440 tin beetroot
- 1 bunch English spinach
- 125g vermicelli noodles (spaghetti)
- 2 tlbs salt
- 125g butter
- 1 onion
- 2 tlbs plain flour
- 1 tlbs dried mint
- 1 tsp turmeric
- kashk to serve
- Drain the kidney beans and chick peas and place in a large saucepan
- Drain the beetroot, rinsing off any excess colour and roughly dice the beetroot, add to the saucepan with the vermicelli spaghetti.
- Wash the spinach well and roughly chop, adding to the saucepan.
- Add enough water to well cover, (about 2- 3 litres) and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer until the noodles are cooked.
- When the noodles are cooked, place the butter, the diced onion, turmeric and mint in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring after each minute.
- Stir in the flour and microwave for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring well after each minute.
- Add about a cup of the liquid from the soup to the butter flour mixture and stir well, ensuring there are no lumps, add another cup of liquid and stir well again.
- Mix into the soup and continue to simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes until the soup thickens.
- Serve with a dollop of prepared kashk.
Kashk or natural yogurt is often added at the end wen serving to enhance the flavour. Although some prefer a dash of vinegar stirred through when serving.