Eggplant with Buttermilk – Kashke Bademjan
A delightful vegetarian main dish traditionally served with bread. This recipes is a healthier version of the traditional Persian version.
- 2 Large Eggplant
- Cooking spray
- 2 onion
- 2 tbls dried mint
- 1/2 cup of bottled or prepared kashk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the whole, unpeeled eggplant on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven for 30 – 45 minutes until soft to touch and cooked through.
- Leave to cool. Peel the eggplant, and slice.
- Slice the onions and fry in the cooking spray until slightly crisp.
- Add the crushed dried mint, and fry for about 1 minute, reserve some for garnish.
- Add the cooked eggplant, and stir through well, keeping the heat on a moderate temperature.
- Stir through the kashk, allowing any excess liquid to be evaporated.
- Stir through the walnuts.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with fried onions, crushed dried mint and crushed walnuts.